Friday, February 15, 2008

Day 39 2/14/08 Today in the forecast

Snow came in the night, suffocating us all while we slept. It coated rooftops and crippled cars. There were only a couple inches in total which was a couple inches shy of the meteorologist’s predictions. Another storm took most of the moister off to our south. That’s fine by me. The white stuff is pretty and all, but its descent leads to car crashes, slipping, shoveling, freezing, and blowing. Might I add that 99% of the time the meteorologists are wrong in their forecast? Bankers can’t be wrong in their forecasts. Financial planners can’t be wrong in their forecasts. Airline pilots and control tower workers can’t be wrong in their predictions. Knowing all of that, I think I’ll make my next career that of a weather woman. Let’s face it; I can be polite and engaging. I can read queue cards and joke about the snow and cold. It’s not like there is much science behind this science. Every time the meteorologists are wrong, they rest of the old excuse “it just moved more toward our south. “ I say screw the south winds and the high pressure systems. I suggest we ignore the radar, cougar or Doppler technology and just take a wild guess. I suggest that when giving the weather report we simply recap the weather that’s already happened and state current weather conditions. While, it’s nice to be alerted to truly severe weather, it’s like they’re always crying wolf. Don’t get me wrong, I hate the snow and much and ice as much as anyone, and I welcome global warming for tempering that a bit, but c’mon people. Who else has a job where they can be wrong, or at least mostly not right most of the time? Hello, anyone taking applications for new, young, talented, sarcastic weather person who can read queue cards and interpret the current weather? If so, please inquire with Jill…

No comments: